ISD #876 is encouraging students, staff and families to lead healthier, more productive lifestyles with our Wellness Policy.
I.S.D. #876 Wellness Policy Highlights:
- I.S.D. #876 has developed this wellness policy based on federal and state nutritional guideline suggestions
- School meals are working to:
- Include only fat-free skim or 1% milk or other non-dairy alternatives
- Meet minimum nutrition guidelines set by local, state, and national governments
- Offer a variety of fruits and vegetables
- ½ of all grains served will be whole grains
- Beverages sold individually:
- Allowed: 1% and Skim Milk, water, 100% fruit juices, unsweetened tea, artificially sweetened juices, and artificially sweetened sports drinks
- Not allowed: Soft drinks containing caloric sweeteners, sports drinks, juices that contain less than 100% real juice or contain caloric sweeteners, and caffeinated beverages
- School Food Service staff will ensure compliance within the school's food service
- Our schools should limit celebrations that involve food during the school day to no more than one party per class per quarter.
- In support of children's health and school nutrition-education efforts school fundraising activities will not involve food or will use only foods that meet the above nutrition and portion size standards for foods and beverages sold individually
- Our school district will provide information about physical education and other school-based physical activity opportunities and will support parents' efforts to provide their children with opportunities to be physically active outside of school
- Our school district encourages parents to pack healthy lunches and snacks.